Thursday, August 21, 2014

8.21.14 Growing Older and More Direct


A continuing conversation -  about growing older and more direct; 
moving away from socially. 'taking care of 'others, 
and the cool reception this sometimes meets up with.

Out with the old, and in with the new:
I think it's a developmental stage at our age . A ripening. 
And often uncomfortable for others, especially 
if we have been very good and polite and thoughtful 
and considerate and other-oriented. 

So when we make it to this age, and we begin really to

 blossom into our full self, it isn't necessarily welcomed everywhere. 

Even when we are civil and considerate. 

Being direct and straightforward, but still a loving human being, 
I think is an artform that we slowly learn. 

I think also that others around us either don't really like the change 

and stop hanging out, or adapt and celebrate us. 

I remember, before I stopped working in my practice, 

that I would change and clarify and grow, and set new boundaries. Right? 
And it would be a cleansing for my practice. So interesting. 

Most people flowed right into the changes, trusting me and

 comfortable with the clarity . 
Some people would be unhappy and leave, 
and right on their heels would be so many new people 
who were drawn to the greater clarity,
 and me being closer to my essential self. 

But I've had that experience too, of people being somewhat disdainful, 

or implying that something is wrong, because I am more direct.
 Even in a kind way. 

Just having my opinions ;viewpoints. 

And not taking care of others so much. that's a huge one. 

When others are accustomed to us inquiring and being solicitous

 and thoughtful.
As opposed to simply being ourselves, 

and enjoying them being their selves. 

I think there's a lot of ways that we grow that some struggle and fight with, 

missing the old status quo; 
while others welcome every aspect of it, as we do their  own growth . 

Regardless of reception, it is essential.and worthwhile. 


And disliking it seems like disapproving of an Oak 's new limb, 
or a Kestrel 's new skill. 

I mean, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment