Saturday, September 20, 2014

9.20.14 this irksome country was born beneath my skin


up early this morning, to the
chill house and the
chillier out of doors that
surprises my very bones 

tomatoes rotting on the withered vines
the scarlet runner beans shrinking back
still feeding hummingbirds whilst the
bean pods slowly turn
dry and  a pale acquiescent brown

the conservation field is alight with a
new reddish grass that has
scoured the hill and
shines in the spilling sun its
luminescents of seeds
glistening as it covers all

while the maples it seems have
all conferred; then agreed, thus their
furthest most leaves now turn
orange; yellow; red

nights colder; cicadas quieter
toads largely unseen
chipmunks readying as the

great predator birds prepare their
annual gathering by the
top of the mountain range
flying about in pairs or solo
contemplating to stay
as their progeny look on
or to go

While some are moving to Florida and I'm
not certain they will return; yet I
know I never shall, by choice, for my
love is for this
difficult land and , listen here
this irksome breathless country
was born beneath my skin and
shall remain there, embedded
always





No comments:

Post a Comment