Sunday, January 17, 2016

1.16.16 Scooting on down Mexico way

      When I was 18, my boyfriend and I decided to leave Long Island University, take off across the country, and escape our parents, finally moving to Albuquerque just in time for the '72 riots,  I waitressed while studying art at the university. 
     One weekend afternoon, we decided with a bunch of old and new friends to drive to Mexico for dinner. 
     In those days, doing 110 on the highway was nothing, so with some Santana blaring on the 8 track, our two cars finally arrived ,at a restaurant one of them had been to in the past . It was pitch black by then, late, but the place was still open, a beautiful stone courtyard beneath a canopy of trees ,surrounding a low lying adobe building, with an open interior lit by so many lamps and candles .      We were seated, someone knew Spanish, and we were gradually served a wide array of beautiful dishes with excruciating aromas.         Each one was more delicious than the last, and while our eyes and noses streamed and we panted and sweat poured down our faces, we still were powerless to stop consuming the meal. 
     I think aside from the first dish my husband cooked for me 
(Starving Student brown rice with onions and peppers ), it was the most incredible dish I've ever had.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment