Friday, December 19, 2014

12.20.14 Inspiration From Photographer Nell Dorr and Artist Tasha Tudor, Friends

Photo: When I was a little child, I had two books by Tasha Tudor. They were all about elaborately drawn and painted borders, of flowers and vines, streams and cats and dogs, happy siblings and a quiet, comforting life. They were all about comfort and joy.


When I was a little child, I had two books by Tasha Tudor. 

In my adolescence, I met and grew to know, just a bit, 
Nell Dorr, a remarkable photographer
in Connecticut, with long grey hair,
two enormous Irish Wolfhounds,
an Octagonal house,
Doves living in her deepset windowsills,
and her remarkable photographs.
And I came to discover, a few years ago,
that the two of them were dear friends.


Tasha lived far up in New Hampshire,
in a house with wood heat, no running water,
four children, dogs and cats and birds,
goats and gardens, where she
made candles, sewed clothes,
and illustrated and wrote 
beautiful books to support
herself and her children.


During the war, Nell Dorr brought her children
to Tasha's house to stay for awhile.









As an adolescent, my school visited Nell Dorr's 
home and enormous gardens and long ponds,
and I wrote her a note afterwards,
thanking her for her inspiring photographs,




for having us visit, and for
her inspiring life.


She wrote me back a note on her cards with
her photographs on them, and 
sent me an inscribed book,
encouraging me.


Her work somehow sank deep inside of me,
and grew and grew, until my children
were grown, and my photographs
and writing somehow morphed,
with her influence.



She photographed her friend Tasha Tudor, as a young woman.
I am imagining they shared a great deal, despite for the most part
Tasha being in N.H., and Nell in Connecticut,
both of them pursuing their art,
and raising their children.


It was such a surprise, after finding such solace in the art of Tasha Tudor
throughout my childhood
to discover and meet Nell Dorr in adolescence,
and live, changed by how she lived her life,
thought for herself
and created photographs that were far different
than the accepted mode of photography at the time.
Only to realize in my late 50's, internet and all,
that the two were friends,
and I imagine shared a great deal.
And both nourished the live I have cherished, myself.
How often do we impact others, with no notion of it;
only aware of how others have impacted us?


Tasha Tudor's art was all about 
elaborately drawn and painted borders,

 of flowers and vines, 
streams and cats and dogs, 
happy siblings 
and a quiet, comforting life. 

They were all about 
comfort and joy.

Now, at 62, I relish their lives and their creations,
and all they have left behind for us.












No comments:

Post a Comment