Monday, March 2, 2015

3.2.15 Learning To Navigate


When I was 17, Nell Dorr gave me this book. 
I knew she was a wizened person. I knew she had studied and learned from her life. I read the book carefully, got to know her unique photographs, gleaning what I could, year after year; a remarkable repast she provided. The great news? Something noone talked about. That your life was a land; that you could slowly become accustomed to, learn to navigate, more adept each year.
"I awoke to an ordinary morning with gray light
reflected from the street
but still remembered
The dark-blue night
above the tree line
The open moor in moonlight
The crest in shadow
Remembered other dreams
of the same mountain country
Twice I stood on its summits
I stayed by its remotest lake
And followed the river
towards its source
The seasons have changed
and the light
and the weather
and the hour
but it is the same land
And i begin to know the map
and to get my bearings."
Dag Hammarskjold, From Nell Dorr's book Night and Day







No comments:

Post a Comment