Wednesday, March 9, 2016

3.8.16 Good enough

     A few years ago I came upon a short piece of writing by Tom Henyon, about how even if we are sitting around rejecting this day or that, as if they are waves, while we wait for what seems like a 'good day' , in fact all days are perfectly good, and the cranky discernment is an imagined thing. 
     So today down by the farmer's fields, when I tried to uuugh uuuugh jog but the road was too thawed and the mud deep and mucky . 
     And I tried to throw his ball so he'd run and get happy and well exercised but he lost it right away.
     And no one fun and amazing and exciting showed up in the skies or crashed through the tree tops,
     I somehow ended up feeling a little empty and lonely and sad and crappy, and began thinking , yeah, that maybe it was the day. As in, well, maybe I'm feeling this way because it isn't ready a very good day.
     Which makes me laugh because who would imagine such a silly thing.
     But sometimes when we're not looking, our little funny human minds come up with little funny human storylines .
     So I shlumped back to the car, and met up with the owner of all the land, who explained the history of how the river 30 years ago was 30' higher and the town owned the land and there was a ferry that ran back and forth right here; and there was a beach for everyone right there on the river.
     So I told him some dingdong had shoved a tire over his beautiful little road sign and broken it and I was so sorry .
     I tried to remove the stupid meanly put tire but couldn't.
And he said, yeah, why do people do these things?
     And then said goodbye and went over and pulled the tire off the beautiful but broken street sign , on the little side dirt road off the bigger dirt road that quietly led to the river, and quietly announced 'April Ave', which I love, a tiny April Ave out in the middle of nowhere .
     So as I watched him there way down the road and got us into the car I realized it actually WAS a good enough day.
     And I remembered that all of them are.
     They are all important , whether we are happily carefree or weighted down by great distress. All of them are good good days.
     And as I turned the car around and got ready to drive off , there he was, my neighbor , choosing to be happy and grateful and just deal with what happens on a very much good enough day.


No comments:

Post a Comment