Wednesday, September 28, 2016

9.23.16 Good baby/bad baby; stupid human constructs

     When my kids were babies, people of course would come up to say hi and googie-goo them and ask questions , and always then, they'd ask if my baby was a GOOD baby. 
     Course, you probably already know that in our great nation a GOOD baby asks for nothing. No love no changing no burping no help no holding no being awake. A GOOD baby is like a GOOD woman, with no needs, inconveniencing no one.
     Course , my three sucked at sleeping. They needed to be held til they crawled or ran off at early ages. They talked early and questioned everything and never sat compliantly in little baby chairs and needed to be helped for hours to go to sleep and grew up talking about everything that bothered them so you'd need to listen and be attentive and wise and loving and patient.
     But mostly they did not sleep well, which, along with sitting for hours in little chairs with no needs , was the prerequisite for being a 'GOOD' baby.
     So I thought about it , how tiring and inconvenient mine were and how spirited and full of needs and ideas and laughter and necessity for much daily exercise and I began telling these people who looked at me hopefully and expectantly as if I was passing a test by giving the correct polite answer ...and I'd hold my gorgeous fat wiggling struggling whining delicious baby , and say "Oh, no. No, this is a BAD baby . Sleeps badly and sits in little chairs badly and needs things and is interested in things. 

     Nope, sorry, BAD baby." And then I'd pull my precious small ones to me, smiling happily , and off we'd go.


No comments:

Post a Comment