Saturday, December 12, 2015

12.12.15 Off wobbling into the night


     The night is warm, with a soft westerly wind ruffling through town, as I step out of a big family gathering, teeter on (yes) high heels, and make my way out to the car. 
      Someone is having a smoke out the front door, and puts it out hastily, as if...I don't know. Who knows, but as I wobble by (wow, these shoes are so weird!) I say something about the beautiful evening in Hatfield, the sky light enough to see, the color deep luxurious blue. 
     I ask if he's ever been further down the road, where it turns to dirt, and he says, "No, why?" I tell him it curves around and turns to dirt and descends into the farmer fields on this side of the river, and comes to an end by the river itself, a beautiful overlook off a small cliff, down onto the beach below, and the waters and the other side, which I frequent.
     I tell him there is a path to the left, with rich foliage and reams of wild roses climbing up the trees come Spring, where the flood plain lets you wander about, along the streams, beneath enormous old growth trees. 
And yeah, I do go on. A bit. Passionately, yeah. I don't get out much, but still, it's such a place to take your breath away. 





     He is smiling now at me, actually interested at how amazing the place sounds. I wave so long, and toddle off, wondering how women wear this things all day, sometimes.
     Remembering a client of mine years ago with all kinds of back problems and foot problems I'd work on, who said that years as a Secretary, when these shoes were mandatory, did it. 
     I laugh as I try to catch sight of the cracks in the darkness, in the pavement, to make sure I don't fall over, and end up stuck there, beetle on their back, flailing. I can just imagine. 
     I laugh harder, and hold onto the row of cars as I walk down the dark street.
     On the way out of our house, when we left, my husband held my hand as I swore about the heels sinking in between the bricks on our walk, laughing that I was into wearing them to this annual affair; just this. Kinda fun. I laugh when I remember us all getting out of the car, and Kevin asking Declan if he wanted to carry the Lasagne or help his mother walk in!! God. 
     But the gathering was family, was wonderful. I parked on a stool next to my sister-in-law, who I am terribly fond of, and have so much respect for, and got to say hi to so many in his family, who of course have become mine. 
     My nephew who used his life blood to get our cottage ready to rent, when everything went down, this spring. His wife, who was a hero. Their kids, including the one whose wedding we sadly missed, but caught the photos and video and news. 
     Two of my three kids, with my daughter-in-law, so I was instantly in heaven.
     So nice, to be out and about, just touching base with so many important ones, out there from our life. 
     And an hour was good.. I was fully toasted by then, and without further ado, I motioned for a few to come on over, and I quietly said goodbyes, and was off, stealth visit, down the steps, toddling on toward the car, on this glorious December night.


No comments:

Post a Comment