Sunday, June 12, 2016

5.13.16 I had to leave a little girl in Kingston Town

When I was 8, I fell in love with the music of Harry Belafonte. I listened to the words over and over, the stories of people and places . I was captured by the rhythm of his music and the passion of his subject matter of equity. 
I was a pretty sensitive kid, and I ached whenever any person or group of people or insects or animals or trees were harmed , or treated badly . 
His songs were about poverty and caring for those in difficult straits, and I felt united with him. 
I didn't understand why his clothes were so different , but it was an obvious and big improvement on what the men I saw wore. That was certain.
That year I was brought to symphony hall in Boston to see him.
But I had five brothers I was completely aligned with. I didn't see sex or race. I saw his appearance and smile on the Sullivan show and the way he moved and sang was so different than those I was used to. In a far better way.
I went to sleep each night happier that there was a good chance the world was bigger and better than it seemed at the time . Belafonte let me dream of great possibility, great promise, and spoke of equity and compassion .
I was the little girl he reluctantly left in Kingston town. I was with him.


 

1 comment:

  1. His songs still pop spontaneously into mind, particularly when the lilacs bloom. His music did make such an intense impression on such young children.

    ReplyDelete