Sunday, June 12, 2016

6.7.16 Chiming through slumber




     Today he goes out to the graduation he missed last year, all those Econ students he advises all their years, and he is so happy.
     So I am glad, and after bringing the pup down by the farmers fields in the spattering rain, by the so many dead worms who were summoned by the rain, as they are, and then caught up in the too much of it, the sleek black slugs feeding, I am chastened by the weight of events and realities we encounter and walk alongside in our lives . 
     Because sometimes we can manage it , our day to day lives, and there the circumstances are. And we know that in the crap shoot of life, most of us get some of them . It simply is so.
     And so, some days that SO is something we can lift and tug and toss over our shoulder and walk with as we breathe and do what we will, or what we must.
     And yet some days the weight is great. And stifles our inbreath and chimes through our slumber and nestles up against the places where we did previously find ease.
     These things have happened always and always will, and there is nothing for it except for us to search for ways of being in the midst of that which moves into our lives.
     So I was walking carefully about all the beautiful earthworms til I simply moved into the tall rich grass, and walked there instead, as my running shoes became sopping and the cold seeped into my pores and toes.
     Until I'd had enough of all that ,and I turned and grasped the lead line on the pup and brought us both on home. And gave over the car to my beloved, that he could leave, beautifully dressed, for the ceremony.
     I said 'You have not one cat or dog hair on your suit yet, so don't sit or stay , but get you into the car before you become furred.' So he laughed and kissed me and left .
     The day passed while he was jubilant at the huge graduation up on that stage. And his best friend the chair announced how happy they all were that he was there. He was with dear work friends and dear students and everyone had helped him pull through and still do. While I rested and slept and rued the piles of dishes waiting for energy to come round to me.
     And sooner than I thought , here he was again, tired but not too tired, smiling his broad huge brown eyed smile.
     He tossed me some institutional toilet paper grabbed from there, and I laughed at him ! And he laughed.
     It was so like when we met almost 40 years ago, really , when we were working out our degrees and there was no money and yes borrowed institutional toilet paper and we really could not breathe for kissing.

No comments:

Post a Comment