Sunday, November 27, 2016

9.13.16 How to Dose Dogs With Supplements





Dosing Dogs with supplements - 
     Delivery Options: In response to requests, I wanted to share dosing methods for dogs I've use successfully in my practice while treating dogs for many years, and with my own dogs.
     My favored medium is a very good quality canned food, grain free, meat the first ingredient. 
     My dog's main food is Origen, so I skimp a little with the cans for supplements and get Dave's grain free ( not pork ever). 
     I take the supplements in pill form he's having first, put a little canned food my hand, separate it into two portions, and put the pill in one. 
     You give them a pill in really delectable food so they gob and swallow, especially since the second portion is right in front of their mouth, waiting . The one-two hit. They're so excited about the second part they don't slow down and detect the pill in the first. 
     Don't ....try it with too big a pill
.....pressure them 
......give them so much stuff they start to catch on. 
     If you blow it, they'll be looking for a pill and you'll have to wait awhile to try again.
     I also give them powders in more canned food in a dish. Obviously it can't be the same food they regularly eat, unless they're Labby, and will eat anything.
     Stay waaaayyy under the radar with dogs with sensitive stomachs, and start everything very gradually so their body can adapt.
     My dog gets vet-reviewed herbs and supplements for his cardiovascular concerns, lymphatic problems ( that result in chronic ear issues and fungus skin problems otherwise ), gi cleansing in a gentle wise way, and gi tonifying things, like a digestive enzymes opened into the food , and a bit of glutamine pdr for his consistent gi vulnerabilities. 
     Some Labby dogs are willing to eat almost anything. In that case, I suggest that their people contaminate a corner of the food only , so the rest of the food is still fun.
     The other mediums people often use are...
-Peanut butter
-Cream cheese 
-Butter.
     They're all disastrous, unless just used short term . Sooner or later they all will increase the guck stuck in the gi tract and thicken the viscosity of the lymph , fostering respiratory, immune, eye and ear problems. The coat will worsen, the Eco system of the gut and therefore the mouth will promote decay.      Their bodies will inflame more, causing accelerated aging and structural problems of back and joints, and pain.
     I saw people and dogs, often in tandem with holistic doctors and holistic vets, for almost 30 years. 
     I developed favorite sources for the most reliable naturopathic information, always found three excellent sources that confirmed , and put everything past my vet in terms of safety.
     Often what I asked was if there was a reason to be cautious about the approach I was about to take.      I'd have all my info ready for their review.
     Some holistic vets really know squat about responsible holistic treatment of animals, and cost a lot of money .
     There are a few locally I've come to respect , and ,myself, I use Windy Hollow Vet Clinic in Montague, MA.
     The responsible ones will understand the support you are asking for , and give you honest feedback during visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment