Sunday, September 17, 2017

7.1.17 Forgiveness

Image may contain: cloud, sky, tree, grass, house, outdoor and nature


     Recently there's been some pretty tough things going on with someone close to me. And while navigating the tough tough circumstances with them, I began to notice the weight and complexity of some hurt and grudges I'd accumulated over the past six months. Tough experiences I sat with and settled but didn't figure out how to forgive. Or let go of. And suddenly here I was, aware of the bulky easily bruised heavy leftovers I've been stumbling around with.
     Suddenly I found myself grateful for the tough tough circumstances. For the way they illuminated the things I'd been bitterly grasping.
     Because unknowingly holding tight to hurt, and even unkind injustice, changes us. Changes our clear and present perception to one hindered by our just-like-new reactivity.
     Sometimes ,we find these things so difficult ,we lose sight of the mound of mess we've created, that twists who we are, and obstructs our ability to live and breathe, here, in the present moment.
     And recognizing the impact our response has created does not sanction what someone has done. If it involves a gross unkindness or injustice, it does not change the nature of that event. It simply brings our awareness of what we've inadvertently changed about ourselves to light. In case we decide this is not something we want to continue to hold onto.
     So, I brought myself down to the farmers fields, and I forgave. I said out loud to the wind and the rain and the dirt road and the swinging trees, I said that I was forgiving this person and this one and this.
     And with each one, I let myself mindfully feel the thoughts, the feelings, identifying each to myself as they rose up, the tethered unforgiven.
     I said "That is a thought." I said to myself "And this is a feeling." I went through them one by one, as I walked and felt these intense things, and let them pass on by.
     When we do this, whether we are on the wave of something sweet and remarkable, or pain filled and tough as nails, it's not a magic wand 'Bing' all better. Rather, it's the declaration and intention of a good beginning. Starting the flow of forgiveness, washing clean the old stuck hurt.
     Just beginning to let drop from our tight grasp the things that have hurt and upset and harmed.            Because we wake up suddenly with an awareness of the heavy accrued bitter hurt, keeping us from going good real places, from being our awake true selves, keeping us stuck to the past. We sit up, surprised, and then grateful. That these tough tough circumstances have enabled us to catch sight of the deal we were running.
      Instead, with mindfulness and forgiving, we learn from our experiences. We change how we choose to know certain others, as a wise adaptive response.
     And then we continue on, informed by experience, as we walk along. Letting go, letting go, letting go.

https://www.tarabrach.com/meditation-forgiving-heart/

No comments:

Post a Comment