Tuesday, August 18, 2015

8.17.15 Like a New York minute



Now, it's nice.
I'll be standing there, watering or trimming or whatever
in the early morning or at dusk
and this small one will sweep into the garden
going a million miles an hour

Stop short and stilled up in the air for a second
( like a freeze frame)
look me in the eye ( I swear )
and then go lose themselves in the luscious meals  
picking and choosing like the salad bar the garden is right now
as if to say ' Oh well, it's that big being. They seem to be ok. 
Let's get on with it.'

And I am , and they do, get on with it, while I stand motionless
and watch as delighted as any best friend or parent or garden neighbor
til I guess their tiny belly becomes filled for a New York minute

And they turn and give me this LOOK!
And swoop real near, and then, fast, way up into the skies
leaving me smiling and breathless and speechless


   Zoom zoom!

No comments:

Post a Comment