Thursday, August 20, 2015

8.19.15 Invitations from a Hummingbird



This morning early I was standing outside holding the sprinkler in my hand, the sprinkler that is growing tired and dysfunctional from a long summer of watering everything. I'm standing still, while Dante on his leash was lying beside me eating grass, when the small green effervescent hummingbird came swooping by. 
Now, the small one has been watching me all summer long, in the gardens, peering over my shoulder, quietly observing me. And I guess we have now gotten to know each other.
I'm certain they're familiar with the sprinkler. So they paused about 2 feet from my face, looking at me. I smiled at them, staying still. And then they moved closer to the sprinkler, and began to play in it! I could hardly contain myself, but yes, I stayed still, as the sprinkler slowly moved to and fro, and the tiny one dipped and splattered, having a great time.

 

A minute ago, I was sitting on my sofa next to the wide living room window, talking to a wonderful person who is at this moment sitting by the ocean when who should fly up and hover right in front of my face, looking in the window, but that same small green hummingbird, looking and looking through one window and another, seemingly trying to figure out the glass between us, but certainly recognizing me, inside. I guess I have a new friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment