Tuesday, December 1, 2015

12.1.15 Mindfulness. Don't leave the present without it.



After reading and practicing and exploring, this is what I do.
I sit or stand or walk, and while I am, I imagine myself sitting by a stream. With all the time in the world. And per previous arrangement with my unconscious self, down the stream comes something visually indeterminate and indefinable that floods into me, and I know it is how I am feeling, or what I have been thinking. About something. That can steal my sleep. My peace of mind. My health. So, I do this. I see myself sitting there and I make the room, and down the stream comes the uncomfortable or heartbreaking or terrifying something. I see my self sitting there and I feel this something fill me, as it passes. I feel the acute sadness flood into me or the  anxiety rankle my very existence or the foreboding or rage  erupt within me. And I just sit there, and breathe. Contrary to every thing we've been told, here. Contrary to
thinking about something else
eating something
going somewhere
buying something
planning something
doing something else
blaming someone
becoming what i am feeling.

Instead of all that, you just sit there, and let yourself feel it, trusting that this will clear  your mind and settle the thing that may not still even change at all, and protect your health from further distress and illness.

And after a bit, the thing your self was holding tight to, and not good for you at all, eases out and slowly passes by. And you are left feeling relief. And that thing will not as likely still the descent into relaxation or sleep.

And what you learn , is that if you tell yourself, especially out loud, that you are going to make sure to do this, to help yourself with the big bad hard crap in life, then your self begins to remind you politely  early on in the day. Because it's best to not have these distressing things flying about, bashing into things and impacting your habits, later in the day. Around here, my rule is mostly nothing after 5. Shop closed up. Course, in order to do that, I have to take good care, and make sure there is room for it earlier. Or all hell breaks loose and I suffer and I can do without that, finally.

It works so beautifully. Not in the 'All Better!!" way. But in the "Ok, that seems to be smoother now." way.


Mindfulness. Don't leave the present without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment