Thursday, December 3, 2015

12.3.15 Way out in Montague



1979. 27,26, and 1. 

We rented a barn. Really. With vines that grew up beneath the bottom of the walls. An old Ashley wood stove, that of course  petered out in the night. But the view out back was beautiful, of a huge field bordered by the forest. Kevin would take the old volvo off to work as a mechanic at Pelham Auto, a cooperative garage. 

One day I took my firstborn next door to look at the beautiful white horse. Put my hand on the electric fence, it zapped right through me, right into my small one, who looked up at me in surprise. 

Upstairs was one huge room, with a wall going partway up, so you had to whisper whenever the little one slept, which was not often or easily. 

I had a Night Blooming Cerus at the end window, enormous, and that first winter, it brought forth the most glorious blossoms, that of course, came quickly and went. 

Our bedroom had a huge barn door on the side, and a cat bird in the summer that would perch outside every morning at 5 ,and call and call. Kevin would wake up, grab his shoe, open it up, and toss it at the bird, to no avail. 

Way out in Montague, home of Sam Lovejoy and Montague Farm and the No Nukes movement and peace and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment